Thursday, September 2, 2010

frustrated!

Today was Maddie's first day of 4k. It was a 'mini' day in which a parent comes along with the child for 1 hour 15 minutes and the child can get to meet the teacher, their room, and meet new friends.

First off, I have wanted to home school, but since my husband isn't completely on board, we decided to try 4k and see how it goes. So I was already upset to send her to school today. Of course, I didn't show it and was upbeat. Maddie didn't and hasn't wanted to go to school (which I am assuming is normal for a 4 year old) so I needed to be excited for her.

So we (Maddie and I) get to school, and the craziness starts. Within the first 3 minutes she asked loudly (which Maddie is a very loud child) "When can I play?" She refused to listen, she refused to sit down and read like EVERY other child, she refused to have FUN! She was very impatient and loud! At points she was very rude! Even while the teacher discussed green light/red light disciple chart. Maddie laid flat on her back on the floor saying she wanting a snack and refused to listen. Way to demonstrate a red light behaivor, Maddie! geez! She now says she will never go back just over not getting a snack. What in the world should I do now?!?!

EVERY other kid, sat so nicely and listened to the teacher and was eager to learn. NOT Maddie! I am just so happy the teacher dealt Maddie's mouth so awesome!

I was so embarrassed today, my child was the ONLY one that was impatient and unable/unwilling to listen today! I would have preffered her to have a kicking/screaming/laying down in the store type of melt down than her behavior today. I mean at least in the store she is the only one acting that way and she isn't compared to her 10 classmates that are being good/patient children!

I am so frustrated and embarrassed. I know its something new for her, and she is trying to adjust. I am just afraid to send her alone tomorrow if she is going to act this way! Did I really screw up with raising her....how am I going to do the next x amount of years in raising her if I didn't do well the first 4 years?!?!

uggh...is all i have to say.

does anyone have any suggestions or stories to share. I need help or maybe just encouragement.

3 comments:

Monique Curry said...

LOL!! Did you expect any different from Maddie! First off keep in mind Maddie acts TOTALLY fferent when your around, as I think all of our kids do. Take a deep breath, you did the right thing by sending her, I do wish that their more preschool options for you only because I think it would have been an easier transition for her. I believe homeschooling can work for some people as I have said before I think Maddie needs the peer pressure of other kids to nudge her in the right direction as does my own headstrong child. She has had virtually no experience with having to listen in a large group and actually having to listen with out the option of just choosing to leave if she is having a bad day. This is not storyhour where it is cute to run around and act silly. I would imagine a good portion of the children have been going to daycare or had been to preschool prior and have a little experience with that type of structure. You are a fine parent and by showing your daughter life does not always run on her schedule she will be better off for it. I would bet my life in a few weeks she's happy to go. At my mom's daycare I have seen over a dozen kids go to Peschool, 4K or 5K for the first time some did fine from the get go and others quickly adjusted. When A1 wen t last year my biggest fear was he did not need me anymore:) All children are different and what works for 100 might not work for one. Well that is my rant for tonight:) Except I will say and dont take it offensively but knowing Maddie if she has even gotten a wiff of you and Nick having a conversation on whether or not she should go she has definetley played on that. Michael and I had a conversation the other night about A1 and he was in the room and for the next 2 days he was still bringing it up and using it as an excuse for his behavior. Remember the story I told you about the mom at the dentist office, today was just your day and tomorrows a new day!

Monique Curry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-stephanie- said...

Just thank God that the day is over and you and her SURVIVED!
Kids are different when their parents aren't around, so Maddie will probably do better with you not there. (I know...how dare they!)
I too have wanted to rip my kids heads off at times because of embarrassing behavior, but just be thankful that the teacher doesn't feel that way. HA! :o)